Wednesday, November 5, 2008

News Article - Week 7

It was very difficult to find a "newsy" news article covering the election last night!

This is as close as I got:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jNQ4X493HISig1UmhO8Ms8MqE29AD9491KK01

This article is about the expectations the United States and the world has for Obama. It has a slightly awkward lede, that is two sentences: "Over and over, Barack Obama told voters if they stuck with him 'we will change this country and change the world.' They did, and now their expectations for him to deliver are firmly planted on his shoulders. "

It has a nice image to convey the idea: "firmly planted on his shoulders" is the first thing that sticks in my head after reading the passage. In that sense, I think it is good - it really conveys the weight of Obama's task. I think that perhaps I don't like it because it is split in two sentences, and anything that starts with "over and over" implies redundancy...and makes me not want to read it!

The nut graph is: "Impatient for a new American era and overcome by a black man's historic ascension to the White House, they took his achievement for their own — weeping, dancing in the streets, blaring happy horns into Wednesday morning.

But campaign rhetoric soon collides with the gritty duties of governing, and hard realities stand in Obama's way."

Maybe I am biased in analyzing this article, and THAT's why I don't like it. It just seems like a downer.

Well, the nut graph emphasizes the signifigance of Obama's responsibilities - again, it starts with a high, "weeping, dancing in the streets, blaring happy horns" all the way down to "hard realities." It's effective, and I guess the point of newswriting isn't to make us happy people.

The kicker is the one part of this article that I really, really, liked:

"I came down here to make a prayer ... that we'll be able to change the nation and the world," said Hollis Gentry. "

I think this is a gem of a quote - its perfect for reflecting the point of the article, and what voters are thinking.

I need to keep looking for a more "newsy" news story about this topic...will let you know!

7 comments:

Rachel D said...

I like that you looked at the kicker so closely. I think quotes are hard things to analyze, they're just so personal! But you're right, this is a good one, and one that could not have been said better in a summary.

Maureen Federo said...

You structured this analysis very well. I agree with the part of the lede, which could have been one sentence.

Eddie Barclay said...

I agree with your comments about the quote, it really is powerful and sums up perfectly what the people there must have been feeling.

I Am Not Here said...

It was indeed quite hard to find newsy articles! That's just one of the problems with such rapidly developing stories, I suppose.

Unknown said...

impressive work, liz! you really have an article analysis for each week, i have like 2... lol

sweetadeline089 said...

I agree with Martin; newsy stories about political issues, especially the election, are nearly impossible to fine. You analyzed the article very well though.

colin said...

Nice analysis, you really pick stuff apart. It's interesting that what you focused on in the article is stuff I probably would have overlooked.